Getting Intel 82801G to work in Fiesty Fawn

My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5585WXMi. It ships with ALC883 Intel HDA chipset. I could get everything to work with Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn except for my sound card and it was so sad that I could basically work with everything excepting for sound.
After trying a lot of things all of a sudden it started to work. So I started looking into why and how. I noticed that I have ALSA 1.0.15rc1 installed from the source code; I did that basically as instruction provided from the Ubuntu help but the wiki alone did not solve the problem then. Later I have installed alsaplayer-alsa, alsaplayer-gtk, alsa-tools and alsa-tools-gui packages and ran alsaconf again. Used the ALSA mixer to turn the PCM channel on and set full volume and then all of a sudden hurrah! there is sound in my laptop. But I do not think that upgrading to ALSA 1.0.15 is required it could be achieved in 1.0.13 as well if the additional packages are installed but that is my hypothesis, I am not absolutely certain. I hope this works for others as well. If it does let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I was going through this again.
    Speakers started to produce sound, when I turned on "Surround" channel. The volume change by regular means, isn't changing the volume of this surround sound. So, regulation of volume has to be done by direct regulation of Surrond channel level.
    Notice: I wasn't installing anything extra on top of what I have from CD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The regular PCM channel controls all the sound output channels, but from the volume control you can select surround to control that channel. I actually have 4 volume controls on the task bar, one each for PCM, Surround, Front (Headphones) and Microphone. I also use alsamixer from the shell to control them as well.

    ReplyDelete

Search